Re: Will the last one to leave please turn off the lights?

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 16:10:48 -0500, Greg Branche wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 16:01:54 -0500, Oisin McGuinness wrote:
>> (remember the C++ compiler error messages?)
>
> <http://www.ralentz.com/old/mac/humor/mpw-c-errors.html>

And right after I sent that, I remembered an additional related
anecdote...

The C compiler (ironically, written in Pascal) had some special logic
in place in internal builds (disabled until my last modification) in
which the compiler retrieved the AppleTalk user name from the system,
and compared that with a list embedded within the tool. At random
times, on the first error message emitted during a compilation, the
tool would explicitly admonish the current user with a special message:

CASE (tickcount mod 16) OF
	0 : WriteLn(diagnostic, '# Hey ', uStr, ', there''s a bug in your Code
again!');
	1 : WriteLn(diagnostic, '# Look ', uStr, ', why not ask for some
help?');
	2 : WriteLn(diagnostic, '# ', uStr, ', can''t you get it right, just
once?');
	3 : WriteLn(diagnostic, '# Maybe you should try programming in Pascal
instead, ', uStr, '.');
	4 : WriteLn(diagnostic, '# ', uStr, ', I''ve told you about this sort
of thing before, damn it!');
	5 : WriteLn(diagnostic, '# Sometimes ', uStr, ', I wonder just why we
bother to continue <sigh>...');
END;

(uStr is the first name of the current user...)

My next-door office worker freaked out the first time the compiler
called him out by name. He thought his machine had been possessed or
something...

The good ol' days!

----
Greg