|[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]|
Some common requests for new features:
1. Namespaces for classes, as seen in C++ and Java
* What would `objc_getClass("fully.qualified.classname")` do? What would `objc_getClass("unqualifiedclassname")` do?
* How would these namespaces interact with C++ namespaces in Objective-C++ code?
2. Class variables, as seen in C++ and Java static member variables
* What would the syntax for these be?
3. More-formalized "informal protocols". Informal protocols currently exist only in the documentation.
* What would the syntax look like?
* How would `-conformsToInformalProtocol:` behave in the face of "optional" methods? Would the protocol have a "protocol version number" of some sort?
4. Non-fragile instance variables, as seen in Java but not in C++.
* How could this be done while retaining backwards compatibility? How would this interact with existing classes? Would it be possible to add non-fragile ivars to a class with existing fragile ivars and existing fragile subclasses?
* How robust should non-fragile ivars be? Making them more robust also makes access slower. For example, making access to public ivars robust even if the ivars are re-ordered in the class definition is more expensive than making subclassing robust but leaving public ivar access fragile.
|>FSOCLF (Frequently-Suggested Objective-C Language Features) (From: Greg Parker <email@hidden>)|
Visit the Apple Store online or at retail locations.
Copyright © 2011 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.