Re: ARC: error: no known instance method for selector

Re: ARC: error: no known instance method for selector

Under ARC, the compiler needs to now exactly the kind of ownership the method returns. The default in this case is that the object is not owned by the caller, but in the actual declaration the object may be owned by the caller ("ns_returns_retained" attribute), conversely, you may have a owning method like newBar that returns a non-retained object ("ns_returns_not_retained" attribute), in the former case you get an  under-release in the latter you get an over-release, which is detrimental to ARC.

To make ARC deterministic, the compiler has to assume a lot of things so certain behaviours that were okay before are made illegal in ARC to ensure that the behaviour is consistent.

Remy "Psy" Demarest