Re: property 'atomic' keyword?

On Mar 7, 2012, at 10:28 AM, Sean McBride wrote:

> I wish Obj-C had an ISO standard.  It seems the language is a moving target, constantly being redefined as llvm changes.  Or if not a standard, how about at least version numbers?  We're clearly past "Objective-C 2" but there seems to be no organized list of language changes since, and which version of Xcode/clang supports them.)

I know that this wasn't the main thrust of your email, but it is worth addressing directly: We've had internal discussions and have explicitly decided *not* to version the language any more. Instead of "Objective-C 2.0" or some such, there is now just "Objective-C as of Xcode 4.4" or "Objective-C in LLVM Compiler/Clang 4.0".

If you'd like to reason about or conditionalize your code on various language features, please use the Clang feature checking macros:
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/LanguageExtensions.html#feature_check

For some Objective-C examples:
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/LanguageExtensions.html#objc_features

A tangential thing I'd like to point out is that the Objective-C literals features that went out with the Mountain Lion beta tools are now in the LLVM.org repository.  We are still finalizing the documentation for them though.

-Chris