RTSP URL with Password?

I'm trying to embed a username and password in an NSURL which in turn I use initWithURL for a QTMovie object. I have no problems with an RTSP stream that doesn't need authentication but when I use the following rtsp://user:pass@address format and then test if I'm able to init using canInitWithURL I can't init the movie.

When I try using this same format in QuickTime Player's Open URL and get an alert saying a network error has occurred. Based on this it appears the QT API doesn't support authentication this way. Can anyone confirm this or have any workarounds?