Unable to Observe or Control

I am unable to observe or control a remote machine. The machine is running
ARD 3.0 on Mac OS 10.4.8. The machine is on a remote network but other
machines on the same network work fine. The admin account can login locally
but not remotely over ARD.  All other ARD functions seem to be working fine,
in other words I can tell it to restart, run reports and upgrade the client
software, etc. I just can not observe or control the screen.

SSH logins are disabled so ARD is my only way into this machine. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Kind Regards,
- C. Thomas