Re: Task Server for Software Updates?

Title: Re: Task Server for Software Updates?
On 11/13/06 4:43 PM, "Chris Waltham" <email@hidden> wrote:

On Nov 13, 2006, at 4:41 PM, Lisa Gosen wrote:

After recently attending an Apple Tech Seminar for Education, we've started thinking about using ARD's Task Server feature to manage software updates.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  And/or does anyone know how using this feature compares with OSX Server's Software Update Server (pros and cons)?  Any gotcha's we should be aware of?

AFAICT, you are comparing apples with oranges. Software Update Server on OS X Server functions to download software updates as they are made available, and then gives you the opportunity to locally distribute them to clients *when they are requested*. Task Server, on the other hand, would give you a way to tell a client to go out and run Software Update, which may or may not seek out updates from your local LAN.

I haven't quite decided how I'm going to tackle this issue, but I am kind of annoyed that it even IS an issue -- Apple really should support automated software updates as an enterprise feature, IMSNHO.

Chris

I agee. Why ARD doesn’t let you use a task server to send a UNIX command is beyond me. If it were possible, then “softupdate –i –a” would do what you want pretty automagically.