Re: Task Server for Software Updates?

On 11/13/06 21:58, "Peter Bukowinski" <email@hidden> wrote:

> On 11/13/06 4:43 PM, "Chris Waltham" <email@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Nov 13, 2006, at 4:41 PM, Lisa Gosen wrote:
>
>> After recently attending an Apple Tech Seminar for Education, we've started
>> thinking about using ARD's Task Server feature to manage software updates.
>> Does anyone have any experience with this?  And/or does anyone know how using
>> this feature compares with OSX Server's Software Update Server (pros and
>> cons)?  Any gotcha's we should be aware of?
>
> AFAICT, you are comparing apples with oranges. Software Update Server on OS X
> Server functions to download software updates as they are made available, and
> then gives you the opportunity to locally distribute them to clients *when
> they are requested*. Task Server, on the other hand, would give you a way to
> tell a client to go out and run Software Update, which may or may not seek out
> updates from your local LAN.
>
> I haven't quite decided how I'm going to tackle this issue, but I am kind of
> annoyed that it even IS an issue -- Apple really should support automated
> software updates as an enterprise feature, IMSNHO.
>

> Chris
>
> I agee. Why ARD doesn¹t let you use a task server to send a UNIX command is
> beyond me. If it were possible, then ³softupdate ­i ­a² would do what you want
> pretty automagically.

ARD doesn't link Send Unix to the task server, however, you can script that
command, so you have a rather large amount of flexibility in running it. If
you have a remote task server, then you have a full copy of ARD on that
system, so you can run the Send Unix on a schedule from there. You can also
time the running of AppleScripts a half dozen ways, so that's rather easily
done too. It's not exactly as nice as using the Task Server, but it's not a
completely manual process either.

--
John C. Welch         Writer/Analyst
Bynkii.com              Mac and other opinions