Re: Task Server for Software Updates?

On 11/14/06, John C. Welch <email@hidden> wrote:
On 11/13/06 21:58, "Peter Bukowinski" <email@hidden> wrote:
> On 11/13/06 4:43 PM, "Chris Waltham" <email@hidden> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2006, at 4:41 PM, Lisa Gosen wrote:

<SNIP>

> I agee. Why ARD doesn¹t let you use a task server to send a UNIX command is
> beyond me. If it were possible, then ³softupdate ­i ­a² would do what you want
> pretty automagically.

What about letting the task server install a "fake/empty" package and have the command run as a part of a preflight or postflight script. Not elegant, but (perhaps) usable?

ARD doesn't link Send Unix to the task server, however, you can script that
command, so you have a rather large amount of flexibility in running it. If
you have a remote task server, then you have a full copy of ARD on that
system, so you can run the Send Unix on a schedule from there. You can also
time the running of AppleScripts a half dozen ways, so that's rather easily
done too. It's not exactly as nice as using the Task Server, but it's not a
completely manual process either.

Why not use the task server to distribute the updates Apple releases on Software Update? Get the relevant software from <http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/> and create an Install Package Task Server task from the pkgs. It will require some internal housekeeping (which set of clients has what version installed), but will let you push updates to clients when they become available, instead of you trying to guess when a client is able to pull an update from your SW Update Server. And you'll have the current status of the update task visible in Remote Desktop.

Regards,
Rune