Re: Task Server for Software Updates?

On 11/14/06 12:06 AM, "John C. Welch" <email@hidden> wrote:

>>> AFAICT, you are comparing apples with oranges. Software Update Server on OS
>>> X Server functions to download software updates as they are made available,
>>> and then gives you the opportunity to locally distribute them to clients
>>> *when they are requested*. Task Server, on the other hand, would give you a
>>> way to tell a client to go out and run Software Update, which may or may not
>>> seek out updates from your local LAN.
>>>
>>> I haven't quite decided how I'm going to tackle this issue, but I am kind of
>>> annoyed that it even IS an issue -- Apple really should support automated
>>> software updates as an enterprise feature, IMSNHO.
>>>

>>> Chris
>>
>> I agee. Why ARD doesn¹t let you use a task server to send a UNIX command is
>> beyond me. If it were possible, then ³softupdate ­i ­a² would do what you
>> want pretty automagically.
>
> ARD doesn't link Send Unix to the task server, however, you can script that
> command, so you have a rather large amount of flexibility in running it. If
> you have a remote task server, then you have a full copy of ARD on that
> system, so you can run the Send Unix on a schedule from there. You can also
> time the running of AppleScripts a half dozen ways, so that's rather easily
> done too. It's not exactly as nice as using the Task Server, but it's not a
> completely manual process either.

I've actually done something similar. I have a saved task in the ARD sidebar
that sends  the "softwareupdate -i -a" command to all my managed Macs.
Because I also run the Software Update service on an Xserve and all the macs
point to it, I can also control which updates get deployed. The biggest
drawback with this solution is the lack of "retry until success"
functionality, which is Task Server's #1 feature. Many users, even when
reminded, don't leave their macs on.