Re: Task Server for Software Updates?

On Nov 14, 2006, at 12:06 AM, John C. Welch wrote:

On 11/13/06 21:58, "Peter Bukowinski" <email@hidden> wrote:

On 11/13/06 4:43 PM, "Chris Waltham" <email@hidden> wrote:

On Nov 13, 2006, at 4:41 PM, Lisa Gosen wrote:

After recently attending an Apple Tech Seminar for Education, we've started
thinking about using ARD's Task Server feature to manage software updates.
Does anyone have any experience with this? And/or does anyone know how using
this feature compares with OSX Server's Software Update Server (pros and
cons)? Any gotcha's we should be aware of?

AFAICT, you are comparing apples with oranges. Software Update Server on OS X
Server functions to download software updates as they are made available, and
then gives you the opportunity to locally distribute them to clients *when
they are requested*. Task Server, on the other hand, would give you a way to
tell a client to go out and run Software Update, which may or may not seek out
updates from your local LAN.

I haven't quite decided how I'm going to tackle this issue, but I am kind of
annoyed that it even IS an issue -- Apple really should support automated
software updates as an enterprise feature, IMSNHO.

Chris

I agee. Why ARD doesn’t let you use a task server to send a UNIX command is
beyond me. If it were possible, then “softupdate –i –a” would do what you want
pretty automagically.

ARD doesn't link Send Unix to the task server, however, you can script that
command, so you have a rather large amount of flexibility in running it. If
you have a remote task server, then you have a full copy of ARD on that
system, so you can run the Send Unix on a schedule from there. You can also
time the running of AppleScripts a half dozen ways, so that's rather easily
done too. It's not exactly as nice as using the Task Server, but it's not a
completely manual process either.

John,

Have you personally tried using a dedicated copy of ARD as a Task Server to push out Unix commands to get clients to update? How do you find it works -- well or flaky?

Chris

-- John C. Welch Writer/Analyst Bynkii.com Mac and other opinions email@hidden