Re: Task Server for Software Updates?

On 11/14/06 08:01, "Chris Waltham" <email@hidden> wrote:

> Have you personally tried using a dedicated copy of ARD as a Task
> Server to push out Unix commands to get clients to update? How do you
> find it works -- well or flaky?

well, it's not strictly a task server, so you have to keep that in mind, but
in general, it works well. One thing I've thought about is using text files
and a folder action to do this, as I RARELY just carpetbomb with the -a
option.

Just put the name of the update in the file, and copy it to the proper
folder. I've become really addicted to folder actions and Apple Remote
Desktop. Firefox updates? Drag, drop, done. Virex updates? Drag, drop, done.
I never even SEE Apple Remote Desktop with folder actions. My Dock has
gotten even MORE ridiculous in size, but that's okay, less work for me.

--
John C. Welch         Writer/Analyst
Bynkii.com              Mac and other opinions