Re: Task Server for Software Updates?

On Nov 14, 2006, at 1:03 PM, Randall R. Saeks wrote:

I use this route:

- Make sure the machines are online.
- Send UNIX command:
sleep `expr $RANDOM % 1200`
softwareupdate -ia

That command will wait randomly on each machine up to 20 minutes, then run the softwareupdate command.  I went this route because when I was updating 100+ machines, I would DOS the server since there were 100 requests coming in.  I found this gave me a good way to space out the time.  Of course, this only does work with machines online.

The .pkg with a pre/post flight script to run the command would be a good way to take care of this as well, however you could potentially hit the same issue if you have a bunch of machines that are all on at once, or use a scheduled startup.  For them you could change the 1200 to a small number, say 120, for 2 minutes to randomly wait.

This is great info, Randall -- thanks! I'll give it a try on our network with some test clients.

Chris