about detecting hard drives with problems

about detecting hard drives with problems

Figuring out an ARD command to look for drives that might be failing....

So far I have

grep "I/O" /var/log/system.log
	which shows I/O errors - not all I/O errors are signs of a drive failing but
in larger numbers it's worth a look. But it only looks in the current
system.log - older system.logs are .gz'ed and I don't know how to search
through them.

diskutil info / |grep "SMART"
	which shows current SMART status - but I've seen that few drives report SMART
status to diskutil - if you check with the gui Disk Utility it often reports
SMART status for a drive that diskutil doesn't.

Anyone know another way to probe SMART status?

Steven Kolins
Alamance-Burlington Schools, NC USA
LanTech/Mac Systems Tech
336-570-6060x110