Re: about detecting hard drives with problems

Dan Shoop <email@hidden> writes:
>>compare
>>diskutil info /
>>with
>>diskutil info disk0
>>
>>and the second usually reports SMART status.
>
>The first is a mountpoint or volume, the second a device.

right
>Volume's
>don't do SMART.

then how come some do?

I recall in the OS9 days it was possible to have a machine without the Apple
driver installed. Often the machine partially worked but reported all manner of
weird errors.

This seems really weird that a few machines would indeed report a smart status
if the / was used instead of disk0....

Steven Kolins
Alamance-Burlington Schools, NC USA
LanTech/Mac Systems Tech