Re: about detecting hard drives with problems

On Tue, November 21, 2006 1:10 pm, Steven Kolins wrote:
> Dan Shoop <email@hidden> writes:
>>>compare
>>>diskutil info /
>>>with
>>>diskutil info disk0
>>>
>>>and the second usually reports SMART status.
>>
>>The first is a mountpoint or volume, the second a device.
>
> right
>>Volume's
>>don't do SMART.
>
> then how come some do?
>
> I recall in the OS9 days it was possible to have a machine without the
> Apple
> driver installed. Often the machine partially worked but reported all
> manner of
> weird errors.
>
> This seems really weird that a few machines would indeed report a smart
> status
> if the / was used instead of disk0....

Here, try this...

diskutil info `diskutil info / | grep "Device Iden" | awk '{print $3}'`

Now it doesn't matter about / or not as this will always find and use the
device identifier for /.

Josh
--
Josh Wisenbaker
U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, B, A, Start for your server