Re: about detecting hard drives with problems

Re: about detecting hard drives with problems

On Nov 21, 2006, at 5:51 PM, Dan Shoop wrote:

At 1:30 PM -0500 11/21/06, Steven Kolins wrote:
"Josh Wisenbaker" <email@hidden> writes:
Remember that disk numbers are dynamic on Mac OS X though. :)

Meaning that whatever device it boots from is disk0?

It's technically possible that disk0 isn't the root of the filesystem.

Open Firmware will build a device tree. The system will allocate device names as they appear to it as they appear from the device tree.

When writing my RAID article I noticed several instances during testing where disk0 was not the root. Then again I did spend a month creating and destroying filesystems. :)

Josh

--
Josh Wisenbaker, ACSA
http://www.afp548.com