Re: Some bugs and problems

Title: Re: Some bugs and problems
On 11/28/06 15:32, "Nick McSpadden" <email@hidden> wrote:

I've been trying to find other ways to do it, but I can't get past the need to log in to the admin account.  These installers are not well designed (it's Epson...), so they require GUI interaction.  I've had nothing but failure trying to get them to run silently.  I also haven't been able to extract the files I need from them so I can place them manually, which isn't that hard thanks to UNIX commands.  I tried to design my own package to put the files in, but I ran into too many odd things I couldn't figure out when working with the Developer tools to do it (I'm not used to the Package Maker system at all... not much of a Developer, outside of AppleScript).

Any other means to get the necessary scan drivers loaded up are too drastic.  For example, installing them on the mirror then remirroring... that's unnecessarily overkill for the problem.  I've tried having all of the computers download the files from a file server, but that still locks me into the need to log in to the admin accounts.  Since this is an elementary school lab, the machines spend most of their time in student accounts with no admin privileges.

What else can I do?

IIRC either Apple’s package maker or iceberg allow you to snapshot systems. So you take a clean system, snapshot it, install the software, snapshot it again, and see what files get installed where. Then build a proper installer. There’s quite a few people who can help with that, it’s a well-solved problem

--
John C. Welch         Writer/Analyst
Bynkii.com              Mac and other opinions