Re: Make spotlight ignore a folder (but not appear in the Sys Prefs list)

Re: Make spotlight ignore a folder (but not appear in the Sys Prefs list)

If you absolutely can't rename the folder because other software depends on it another technique is to go ahead and rename the directory to end in ".noindex", but then create a symlink in the same location pointing to the real location using the original name.

Most software is happy to use the symlink with the original name, but Spotlight ignores symlinks and will note the "real" name ends in *.noindex and will ignore that location.

Perhaps something like:

mv OriginalName OriginalName.noindex
ln -s OriginalName.noindex   OriginalName

ls -l

lrwxr-xr-x 1 andy admin 24 Jan 9 2008 OriginalName -> OriginalName.noindex
drwxr-xr-x 11 andy admin 374 Jul 11 07:03 Original.noindex

---- Andy