Re: Anyone know if RSS <cloud> is used in the real world?

Re: Anyone know if RSS <cloud> is used in the real world?

UserLand supports the <cloud> element in Manila, Radio UserLand and Radio Community Server (RCS), however Manila ships with the feature turned off for scaling reasons, and UserLand's main RCS servers also have it turned off for the same reason. However Radio does generate the <cloud> element in its feeds. Here's an example:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0101365/rss.xml

Manila server managers can turn the feature on if their installation will be able to handle the traffic. Brent is correct about having to have a public HTTP port opened on your desktop machine when using Radio, in order to get the notifications from the cloud server, however the same is not true for Manila, since it's already a public- facing HTTP server.

All that said, I don't know of any RSS reader or server that supports the <cloud> element out of the box, without at least making a change to default settings, and UserLand's apps may be the only ones that fully implement the spec (such as it is).

As for more detailed docs, I think there probably are some, but I don't know URLs off the top of my head. I can dig around if anyone is interested.

 -Jake