Re: configure/make and 10.3.9 SDK, how to use it?

On Oct 3, 2005, at 11:03 AM, Sean McBride wrote:

On 2005-09-30 14:53, Eric Albert said:

configure:2482: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2485: gcc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk  -
Wl,-
syslibroot,/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk conftest.c  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: -syslibroot: multiply specified
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

So I gather that gcc does not like those parameters, which I
confirmed
with my own little foo.c test file.

Are you using GCC 4.0?

powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5226)

From Xcode 2.2pr2.

Try not setting LDFLAGS. Passing -isysroot to gcc might cause it to pass -isyslibroot to the linker if you're using gcc to link.

Well, if I do that, everything builds, but how can I be sure that it actually used the 10.3.9 SDK?

Add "-v" to your CFLAGS and, at least with my version of gcc (a bit later than the one in Xcode 2.2 DP 2, but I don't think we've changed this in the interim), you'd see that if you use gcc to link and pass - isysroot it invokes ld with -syslibroot.

I'm pretty sure it's doing that in your case because if it didn't do that you wouldn't be getting the error you're seeing. :)

Also, technote 2137, which I just discovered:
<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html>

Shows using both CFLAGS and LDFLAGS as previously discussed in this
thread, so it seems that is the right way, and yet I get that "-
syslibroot: multiply specified" error when I try... what gives?

Sounds like we should change the technote to clarify that you should only set LDFLAGS to include -syslibroot if your makefile doesn't pass CFLAGS for linking. Your makefile apparently does use CFLAGS while linking.

You may also want to file a bug report asking ld to not warn when - syslibroot is specified multiple times if it's always set to the same value.

-Eric