generic virtual device (newbie)

I've looked through the sdk but I'm not sure what I need is present (or I
just don't understand).

I would like to create a generic virtual usb device.  At this point all I
is for the device to show up as an available device and to allow me to pass
arbitrary data back in forth.  Hopefully this very simple and I just don't
see it.

Basically I just want an application to just pass data back and forth with
this virtual device.

Running OS 9 & X

Is this possible?  If so what am I overlooking?