Re: Prevent OS X from grabbing USB UPS device so I can use Network UPS Tools (libusb) instead.

Re: Prevent OS X from grabbing USB UPS device so I can use Network UPS Tools (libusb) instead.

Hi

I think this is a bit off topic for the usb list :) so I won't send
future replies about this to the list.

On 12 November 2010 18:48, Xochitl Lunde <email@hidden> wrote:

> I haven't used NUT before, are you building it from source?  Are you
> building it with Xcode or with make files? On this website,

I built it from source from the command line (not Xcode).

Basically:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nut --enable-xxx --disable-yyy ...
(Try "./configure --help | less" for the options)
make
sudo make install

as far as I remember.

Oh, I first had to build and install libusb and libusb-compat-0.1.  If
you get stuck, let me know and I'll try to help.

> http://www.networkupstools.org/compat/ , it says it can run on OS X.  Is
> this the correct website?  I am interested in trying your scenario on my

Yes, that is the correct website.

> iMac 8,1 64-bit Intel Mac OS X 10.6.4.  I would use SU1000RTXL2UA UPS.
> (http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=934&txtModelID=2948
> )

As long as NUT has a driver for that UPS, I think it's likely to work.

The Tripplite page says:

"Simultaneous use communications via HID compliant USB port, serial
port, SNMP/Web card slot and EPO interface"

NUT's compatibility page mentions that "SmartOnline SU1500RTXL2ua USB"
is supported by the usbhid-ups driver, so I think there's a good
chance your SU1000RTXL2UA will work too.  Even if it doesn't work via
USB, NUT has an snmp driver too (although you might have to modify it
to use the right OIDs for your UPS.  I've never tried the snmp
driver.)  And if neither the USB or the SNMP drivers work, you might
find that one of the serial drivers works (depending on the protocol
the UPS understands.)

> I do not have a lot of time to work with it, but if the problem is something
> similar to what I went through to get PowerAlert to run I might get lucky.

I have not had a chance to work on it any further yet, but I'll let
you know if/when I get it working.

--
Michael Wood <email@hidden>