easier instructions to install Tiger's X11.app

easier instructions to install Tiger's X11.app

(Hint: If any of the commands below are unfamiliar, don't be the first to try this out!)

I'm still trying to work out a more official solution to this, but while you're waiting:

1. Download X11 Update 2006 from http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11update2006113.html
2. In Terminal:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.x.X11.plist
sudo mv /Applications/Utilities/X11.app /Applications/Utilities/X11- launcher.app
sudo rm /usr/X11R6
sudo ditto -Vx --noqtn /Volumes/X11\ Update\ 2006/X11Update2006.pkg/ Contents/Archive.pax.gz /
log out, then back in to clear $DISPLAY
You will then have both versions installed. To run the Tiger version of X11, just run /Applications/Utilities/X11.app. To run the Leopard version, run /usr/X11/X11.app. When I tried this, I got the "double X11 icon in Dock" thing -- I have to talk to the Dock guys about that.

Note that this will not install the Tiger X11SDK.pkg, but that's okay -- you can build programs against the files in /usr/X11 and still run them with the Tiger X11.app.

3. To reverse the above directions:
sudo rm -rf /etc/X11 /usr/X11R6 /Applications/Utilities/X11.app
sudo ln -s X11 /usr/X11R6
sudo mv /Applications/Utilities/X11-launcher.app /Applications/ Utilities/X11.app
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.x.X11.plist
log out, then back in to set $DISPLAY
--
Ben Byer
CoreOS / BSD Technology Group, XDarwin maintainer