easier instructions to install Tiger's

(Hint: If any of the commands below are unfamiliar, don't be the first to try this out!)

I'm still trying to work out a more official solution to this, but while you're waiting:

1. Download X11 Update 2006 from
2. In Terminal:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.x.X11.plist
sudo mv /Applications/Utilities/ /Applications/Utilities/X11-
sudo rm /usr/X11R6
sudo ditto -Vx --noqtn /Volumes/X11\ Update\ 2006/X11Update2006.pkg/ Contents/Archive.pax.gz /
log out, then back in to clear $DISPLAY
You will then have both versions installed. To run the Tiger version of X11, just run /Applications/Utilities/ To run the Leopard version, run /usr/X11/ When I tried this, I got the "double X11 icon in Dock" thing -- I have to talk to the Dock guys about that.

Note that this will not install the Tiger X11SDK.pkg, but that's okay -- you can build programs against the files in /usr/X11 and still run them with the Tiger

3. To reverse the above directions:
sudo rm -rf /etc/X11 /usr/X11R6 /Applications/Utilities/
sudo ln -s X11 /usr/X11R6
sudo mv /Applications/Utilities/ /Applications/ Utilities/
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.x.X11.plist
log out, then back in to set $DISPLAY
Ben Byer
CoreOS / BSD Technology Group, XDarwin maintainer