Re: request to list management

At 11:31 AM -1000 10/11/07, Brad Cavanagh wrote:
On 10/11/07, Rich Cook <email@hidden> wrote:
 > Here's vote against munging subject lines. It's an ugly fix for a
 > non-problem. Filtering on the List-Id header works in every mail
 > client that I use regularly.

 I find munged headers to be useful for other than automated filtering
 -- often list traffic is lower-priority and I like to see what's from
 a mailing list and what isn't so that I can make a quicker decision
 whether to keep or not based on the visible subject.  I don't think
 it's ugly, I think it's beautiful.  So I unvote you.  :-)

I use two clients for reading mail: pine and Gmail (whether or not Gmail is a client is up for debate, I suppose). Munging subject lines to include an abbreviated mailing list name results in difficulties in determining whether or not the email in question is useful, as it adds 10 or so characters to the beginning of the subject line and thus truncates 10 or so characters off the end in pine's display. Munged subject lines in Gmail would be a duplication of information, as you can already automatically tag emails based on other information.

Count me as a vote against munging subject lines, so I unvote your unvote. :-)

I'm actually content with either and/or both, so I unvote both unvotes. :-)

-- Brad Cavanagh, Data Reduction Software Engineer Joint Astronomy Centre, Hilo, Hawaii email@hidden / +1-808-969-6555

-Don

--
Don MacQueen