Re: Speeding up remote GUI apps - colour depth or other ideas?

Re: Speeding up remote GUI apps - colour depth or other ideas?

On Oct 18, 2007, at 6:03 pm, Grant Jacobs wrote:

Hi,

I've been trying, very unsuccessfully, to speed up access to GUI apps over X11 over VPN via the local broadband (which isn't that great). My current attempts are based around trying to persuade X to use a shallower colour depth, figuring that will reduce network traffic (?).

I've tried altering the X11.app colour depth preferences (in Preferences>Ouput) & restarting X11 to make them active and also via using defaults write com.apple.x11 15 (which I presume is essentially the same thing). Neither seems to make any difference-- the apps still open painfully slowly on the local machine regardless of what I do and always seem to show the full colour depth AFAICT by eye regardless of the colur depth setting.

I'd welcome any suggestions.

I use NX to run X11 apps from work at home and it works really well. The performance is on par with Microsoft's Remote Desktop, *much* better than any VNC I've used. The main downside is that you've got to run your remote X11 apps rooted, e.g. you have a single X11 desktop window that all the remote apps run in. The good thing is that the apps continue to run on the server even if the client (your Mac) disconnects, so you don't lose any work if your link goes down.

There's a Mac installer for the NX client that you can download from <http://www.nomachine.com>; on the server side I use freenx which I installed using yum (it was in the extras distro for my linux box, which is running CentOS). The freenx project page is at <http:// freenx.berlios.de/>. Getting the server set up can be a little tricky, but it's totally worth it if you want to do a lot of X11 work at home.

-phil