Re: Speeding up remote GUI apps - colour depth or other ideas?

Re: Speeding up remote GUI apps - colour depth or other ideas?

Title: Re: Speeding up remote GUI apps - colour depth or other id

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

The reason I've come down this route is the VNC viewer or server would freeze after a few minutes use, so I thought to try run the X11 GUI applications "directly".

By luck I left the viewer open and while moving files from the Desktop to folders using the command-line and noticed that the vncviewer updated the screen to indicate that they'd been moved. So, I concluded that most likely what was happening was that the viewer/server was giving up on mouse events somehow, rather than freezing outright.

(Any comments on that are welcome.)

I'm trying vncviewer -x11cursor in the hope that this might help (so far, good). Passing vncviewer 'grabKeyboard: true' also might be worth a try.

VNC does work well when it does, although the fonts are tiny!

I will look into NX or LBX when I have time as I rather like the idea of running the application "directly" on the Apple Desktop.

Chris -- I like nEdit too, but I use TextWrangler's (or BBEdit's) ftp mode which is fine as long as the files aren't huge.

Grant

I have generally found two solutions for this:

1.  VNC - Run a vncserver on the host computer that's running the X11 apps and the viewer on the client system.  I do software development on a Linux server running at work while displaying on my Mac via X11.  In lower bandwidth situations, VNC makes that much more tolerable.

2.  LBX - Low Bandwidth X11 - http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LBX.html
Basically the idea behind LBX is that X11 applications send and receive a large amount of meaningless event information and that causes issues on low-bandwidth network connections.  These events are sent regardless of color-depth and that is probably why changing your color depth hasn't made any difference.  LBX strips out the  unnecessary events and thus lowers the bandwidth requirements.

Setup for LBX is a bit more difficult than a VNC server, but allows you to run your X11 applications side-by-side with your regular applications.

In the end, the biggest change I made was going from using NEdit as my editor to vim.  That reduced my bandwidth requirements by a TON. :)

Hope this helps and good luck.

     - Chris