RE: Speeding up remote GUI apps - colour depth or other ideas?

RE: Speeding up remote GUI apps - colour depth or other ideas?

Title: RE: Speeding up remote GUI apps - colour depth or other id

Hi everyone,

As I was trying to say, so far using -x11cursor seems to be making VNC work tolerably, but to quickly answer your questions: I've already got the basic network issues covered, thanks. Ping was the first thing I did followed by quite a few other things before I asked on here! I will look into NX later--it seems to get good reports from a number of people.

(The -x11cursor option to vncviewer is reported elsewhere to fix some keyboard/mouse focus issues. Ditto for grabKeyboard.)

A few questions...

>The reason I've come down this route is the VNC viewer or server
>would freeze after a few minutes use, so I thought to try run the X11
>GUI applications "directly".

Which vnc server and viewer are you using? Are you running the vncviewer locally? How are you connecting to the remote viewer? (e.g. do you create an ssh tunnel to the remote server? or do you connect directly, (meaning there's no encryption, so everything you do can be 'sniffed')?) After it appears to 'freeze' can you reconnect the viewer again? -if so, does it work correctly again for a while before appearing to 'freeze'?

Regarding 'direct' X11 use... how are you connecting to the remote machine? Do you use ssh with compression? (e.g. ssh -Y -C -c blowfish name@host) Are you setting your DISPLAY variable at the remote end? (don't!)

What sort of connection do you have between yourself and the server?

Have you tested your upload and download speed? There are sites that will do this for you (I've often used thinkbroadband.com, but that's a UK site, which is probably a good idea for me, being in UK.)

I work a lot from home using both VNC and 'direct' X11 over a basic broadband connection. If everything is set up correctly, and your ISP/connection is giving a reasonable service, there shouldn't be a problem. If you are experiencing a problem, it suggests something isn't configured quite correctly, or else your ISP/connection is having 'issues'.

Hoping to possibly be of some help,

Adrian