emacs in Mac OS X

My iMac is just a few weeks old.

I've installed the X11 and X11 SDK packages and have not
modified any environment setting files yet.

When I read the man page for emacs on this machine, it
seems to say it is a version that recognizes X11 running
and takes advantage of that. However it only seems to run
a terminal version when I execute the emacs command from
an X11 xterm session.

Am I missing some environment variable this emacs needs,
or does the iMac standard distribution only come with a
terminal-only emacs?

Thanks
Ken