Re: emacs in Mac OS X

in fact, this is my experience with emacs/xemacs, do not know if somebody is interested:

1. I tried many times to install xemacs on the Mac, even from the source; it NEVER
worked properly, it behaved like a broken version; for instance, syntax highligting
in fortran did not work, tab, etc.;

2. so eventially I switched to the Aqua; it is ok. However, its behaviour is slightly different
from the "normal" xemacs: for instance, it does not except another file into the other part of the window,
it always opens another window, but I've got used to this by now; the really "bad" point (which I have
not yet figured out how to deal with) is the # symbol: normally, it is alt-3 I think, but it does not work
with Aqua.

Lev

Also, if you are not adverse to building from source, the GNU sources
support a carbon-based Emacs as well.  I have been using that one with
good results and I much prefer it to either the Aqua or the X11 version
on my powerbook G4.

Good luck,

Patrick

John Francini wrote:

Yes, the one that ships with Tiger is terminal-only. You either need an X11-based Emacs, or, if you don't want to have to run X11 just for Emacs, get a hold of AquaMacs, which is Aqua-native.

It's at <http://aquamacs.org/>.

John