Re: emacs in Mac OS X

On  24 Oct, 2007, at 10:27, email@hidden wrote:

My iMac is just a few weeks old.

I've installed the X11 and X11 SDK packages and have not
modified any environment setting files yet.

When I read the man page for emacs on this machine, it
seems to say it is a version that recognizes X11 running
and takes advantage of that. However it only seems to run
a terminal version when I execute the emacs command from
an X11 xterm session.

Am I missing some environment variable this emacs needs,
or does the iMac standard distribution only come with a
terminal-only emacs?

I would say there are three main Emacs distributions for the Mac:

1) Carbon Emacs (Emacs 22.x):

2) the already mentioned Aquamacs (Emacs 22.x):

3) and (Cocoa) (Emacs 23.x):

Carbon Emacs and Aquamacs come with AUCTeX pre-installed. There is an Emacs on OS X mailing list, with very knowledgeable users always willing to help (go about the middle of the page):

as well as a Google group for Carbon Emacs:

P.S. I have found also this (but haven't tried):