Re: X11 in Leopard: xterm on start-up

On 10/28/07, Bob Greschke <email@hidden> wrote:
> We have secretaries (that are not going to be entering command line
> anythings any time soon) that just start X11, pull down the
> Applications menu and select an item that ssh'es them into, let's say,
> our inventory system.  How will that work now?

Why does it have to be an xterm?  There are much better terminal
applications for the Mac.  With the new automatic X start, you can use
any of them, ssh -X somewhere, and still have the ability to fire up
remote X apps.

 Heck, instead of using the Applications menu, you could have them
double-click an icon that is a shell script that just does "ssh -Y
hostname".  Mac OS will fire up Terminal and execute the ssh command,
and whatever it is they've been doing in xterm will continue to work.

--
Mark J. Reed <email@hidden>