Re: X11 in Leopard: xterm on start-up

On Oct 28, 2007, at 11:36 AM, Jamie Kennea wrote:

On Oct 28, 2007, at 2:29 PM, Nathan wrote:

That's awesome!  I can take the DISPLAY=... trickery out of my
.profile and I no longer have to train coworkers about the DISPLAY
variable!  I just checked, and without my DISPLAY junk in my .profile,
it's set to /tmp/launch-zk0BPF/:0

Its great until you have a program that assumes that the string that comes before the :0 is a valid hostname and tries to resolve it, e.g.:

~ > ds9
_X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't get address for /tmp/launch-MYoUjW/:6000: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
Application initialization failed: couldn't connect to display "/tmp/launch-MYoUjW/:0"
Error in startup script: invalid command name "option"
   while executing
"option add {*Entry*BorderWidth} 1"
   (file "./zvfsmntpt/src/ds9.tcl" line 10)

Futzing with the DISPLAY variable can have unexpected results.

That program is doing something it shouldn't.  To make this work, we patched those functions (X11Trans*, which in this case live in libX11.dylib) -- that error indicates that program is using some private copy of those functions, which is not supported.   (I can't figure out why one would.)

Which version of ds9 is this?  I went and downloaded the MacOSX 10.4.x (Universal) version, and it didn't even seem to use X11.
--
Ben Byer
CoreOS / BSD Technology Group, XDarwin maintainer