Re: X11 in Leopard: xterm on start-up

On Oct 28, 2007, at 7:06 PM, Ben Byer wrote:

That program is doing something it shouldn't. To make this work, we patched those functions (X11Trans*, which in this case live in libX11.dylib) -- that error indicates that program is using some private copy of those functions, which is not supported. (I can't figure out why one would.)

Its entirely possible ds9 is doing something weird. However the facts are that its one of the most used tools in Astrophysics and works on every other XServer/UNIX combo I've tried, so its hard to lay blame entirely at their door.

Which version of ds9 is this? I went and downloaded the MacOSX 10.4.x (Universal) version, and it didn't even seem to use X11.

That's new with DS9 5.0, I had actually never seen that Mac "Native" version of ds9 until today! However if you look on their site there's a version for download called "Darwin Intel" that uses X11. This is the version that 99.99% of Astronomers use on a Mac I'm willing to bet.

FYI I tried recompiling DS9 on Leopard but had no luck sadly. I'm sure however that the fix on DS9's side is an easy one, and as I mentioned in an earlier email, I don't consider this issue to really be of such a large consequence compared to the Spaces and Emulate3Button bugs as I can fix it by typing "setenv DISPLAY :0.0" before running ds9.

Jamie