completely garbled keyboard input

I have a problem which has been causing me grief since I upgraded to Leopard. Before then, I used to be able to create XDMCP sessions to my two Linux servers running Fedora and provide keyboard input for applications with no problem. Now, I can log in, but any keyboard input to any application after that is completely garbled. To illustrate, if I type the first following line to xterm, it echoes the second line:

bcdfghijklmnopqtuvwxyz
071243gläkcxsh'wd8^65q

I'm using an Intel iMac with a Swiss German keyboard. The Fedora machines have Swiss German keyboards and work OK with their own physical keyboards, but not over X11. I got the impression from what I read that I really ought to have X11 from the Xquartz project installed on the Mac, so I'm using X112.3 Update.

I don't really know what I what should be googling for to solve this problem. I have spent a lot of time searching, and it became easier to walk down the three floors to the servers than solve the X11 problem, so that's what I have been doing. But I'd really like to fix it.

I know a lot about Unix/Linux and precious little about X11, and I've lost track of everything I've tried to fix this problem.

I'd be grateful for any hints at all about what the problem is and how to solve it. I suspect completely removing X11 and starting again from scratch may a good start, but I'm not even sure how to do that.

Steve