Re: bfobserver daemon

On May 24, 2006, at 9:15 PM, Cameron Hayne wrote:
Why (after installing Xcode 2.3) do I have the 'bfobserver' daemon running even if I don't have any distributed build option checked in my Xcode preferences?
This is /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ DedicatedNetworkBuilds.framework/Resources/bfobserver and is started via a launchd item called 'com.apple.dndoberverd'

I unloaded it using the "Lingon" utility but why does it get installed at all when I'm not using distributed builds at all. If Xcode can't load & unload this daemon when I check & uncheck the distributed build options, then maybe it should be an installation option.

Is this a bug that I should report, or am I misunderstanding something?

For a variety of unfortunate reasons, it had to be installed that way to meet the requirements of the release.

The daemon does basically nothing until a user activates Dedicated Network Builds.

So, yes, it is by design and, yes, we consider it to be a bug and am working towards a different solution in a future release. No need to file a bug on this particular issue.

If you want to permanently disable it:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ com.apple.dnbobserver.plist

Just remember to re-enable it if you want to use DNB:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ com.apple.dnbobserver.plist

b.bum