Re: How to get warnings for missing methods in older SDKs

On Mar 27, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Quincey Morris wrote:

> So, again, the approach to give you what you want -- an app that's written "for" an older OS -- is to build against its SDK. The only difficulty you have now is that you'll have to use Xcode 3.2 to build against 10.5, because Xcode 4 unfortunately can't do it.

It’s important to understand that this is only new in Xcode 4 for Mac OS X.  iOS developers have worked this way for quite a while.

In fact, as of Xcode 3.2.5 there is a way to specify you want to use the “latest” SDK, without tying the SDK you want to build against to any specific version.

Things work this way so developers have an easier time adopting the features of new operating systems, without being confused into thinking “I can’t adopt feature Z because I need to run on older operating systems.”

Insisting that you MUST use an older SDK to target an older OS is - in the vast majority of cases - both incorrect and counterproductive.  (I’m still looking into the cases where it’s been claimed it won’t work, which could be bugs or require documentation updates.)

  -- Chris