Command line instruments broken with pre-iOS 6 devices?

Command line instruments broken with pre-iOS 6 devices?

I run automated tests via command line and UIAutomation.
I just installed Xcode 4.5. Only 1 out of 3 devices works now. On the
other two, I always get the error:
Instruments Trace Error: Failed to start trace.

The one device that works is the iPad 3 with iOS 6.
The other two devices which don't work are an iPhone 4 with 5.0.1 and
iPad 1 with 5.1.1.

Things were working before the upgrade with Xcode 4.4 (though my iPad
3 was running iOS 5.1.1). I also just updated to 10.8.2, so I'm not
sure if that is related to the breakage.

Can anybody confirm this is a new instruments issue with pre-iOS 6 devices?

Are there any workarounds?

Thanks,
Eric
--