Re: JNLP signing requirement.

On Jun 10, 2013, at 8:20 AM, Steve Kann wrote:

The result from this operation seems to pass Gatekeeper on the local machine. However, it seems like the signature gets stored as extended HFS attributes, and as a result, it is not transmitted if a user fetches the file from a HTTP transaction.

This is a concern to me since I use some JWS. I am still 10.7 though one reason being that I thought this sort of thing might start coming up at 10.8. So I'm not sure how much I can say.
Are you talking about java 6 or 7?
7 would be addressed separately and probably best answered on the macosx-port list.
This seems like it should be a bug as you describe it. Storing a signature for a webstart file in a way that it loses the signature on download doesn't make a lot of sense. Someone who understands the mechanism would have to explain that. I think in looking at downloaded stuff a little bit back there were some extended attributes automatically associated. I set up some java api's in my trz package (see below) to read these attributes as java 7 nio.2 attributes but didn't allow for update as I saw that in some cases you could set them in ways that messed up spotlight. I was sort of leaving it open for anyone to give me a case where they needed update - which hasn't happened up to now. These signatures might be a reason but I haven't seen anything on their use and wouldn't know how to provide it if it is even possible for what you describe.

Michael Hall

AppConverter convert Apple jvm to openjdk apps http://www195.pair.com/mik3hall/index.html#appconverter