Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain applications

Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain applications

Hi,

It seems that the latest Java 1.6.0_51 update has problems running some Swing applications. I performed a software update to get the latest Java 1.6.0_51. I then installed VisualVM 1.3.5 (http://visualvm.java.net/download.html) and tried to run it. I get the License Agreement dialog, but when I try to click "I agree" or "cancel" and it doesn't accept any events. All I can do is hit ctrl-c to close the application.

We have 3 Swing desktop applications. Two of them have the same problem in where they launch, but no events are accepted, while the third application works ok. One of the applications is licensed to our customers and they are all having the same problem with the new Java update, so it is not a localized to a machine configuration, but to the new Java Update.

Doing some Google searches, it looks like Matlab is having similar problems with the new update :
http://www.mathworks.us/matlabcentral/answers/79489-java-1-6-0_51-breaks-matlab-2012b-and-below

In trying to isolate the problem, we can't find any exceptions or any logging errors. Trying different things, I found that if we configure the JVM memory to 128MB (-Xmx128m) of Heap memory or less, then the application will work. If you configure it with more then 128MB then it will not accept events. We tried lowering the default memory for VisualVM, but that didn't solve the problem for VisualVM.

Of the 3 Swing applications which we have, the 2 that do not work use JOGL, while the 3rd that works doesn't use JOGL. I looks like Matlab uses JOGL, but VisualVM doesn't. We can't figure out what is wrong with the new Java Update, but it is pointing to a Heap memory & JOGL/OpenGL issue.

Without focusing on any specialized applications, I wonder if anyone can run VisualVM with the new Java 1.6.0_51 update, which is widely available.

Anyone else having similar issues?

thanks
-John