Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain applications

Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain applications

I have the same problem with one of my apps - it appears locked up - resizing the window causes the events to finally make it through. The app starts up with a JTextField focused. Typing characters appears to have no effect. But if I resize the window, the characters show up.

I inserted a call to this method at the beginning of main:
protected static void startupError(String reason)
{
JOptionPane pane = new JOptionPane(reason, JOptionPane.OK_OPTION);
JDialog dialog = pane.createDialog("startup failed");
dialog.setVisible(true);

System.exit(1);
}
and the dialog showed up, but had no text in it and the button wasn't responsive.

I have a static logger initialized in this class via:
static Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(Wish.class);

If I comment out the actual call to initialize it, the error dialog shows up and works:
static Logger logger;// = LoggerFactory.getLogger(Wish.class);

The actually implementation under the LoggerFactory.getLogger() is logback-classic/core-1.0.13

I have other "main()" functions in other classes in the same project - also with Loggers - they work fine.

-Wendell