Mailing Lists: Apple Mailing Lists
Image of Mac OS face in stamp
Java 1.6.0_51, SOLUTION (for my app)
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Java 1.6.0_51, SOLUTION (for my app)



I too experienced this.

I believed the EDT thread was hanging, and turns out it was.
I don't know how it occurred to me to attempt this but in some crazy way I tried it and it worked.
I think some people were maybe discussing a similar bug from a few years ago on apples forums.

I commented out the code code towards the beginning that sets the LAF!

Good luck!





On Jun 20, 2013, at 2:00 PM, email@hidden wrote:

> Send Java-dev mailing list submissions to
>    email@hidden
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    https://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/java-dev
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    email@hidden
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    email@hidden
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Java-dev digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>      applications (John L33T Haxor)
>   2. Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>      applications (Tomas Hurka)
>   3. Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>      applications (Robert Schmunk)
>   4. Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>      applications (Emmanuel Puybaret)
>   5. Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>      applications (Tomas Hurka)
>   6. Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>      applications (Ralph Martin)
>   7. Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>      applications (Michael Dever)
>   8. Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>      applications (Ruotsi, Wendell)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:52:06 -0700
> From: John L33T Haxor <email@hidden>
> To: list Java-dev <email@hidden>
> Subject: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>    applications
> Message-ID: <email@hidden>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Hi,
>
> It seems that the latest Java 1.6.0_51 update has problems running some
> Swing applications.  I performed a software update to get the latest
> Java 1.6.0_51.  I then installed VisualVM 1.3.5
> (http://visualvm.java.net/download.html) and tried to run it.  I get the
> License Agreement dialog, but when I try to click "I agree" or "cancel"
> and it doesn't accept any events.  All I can do is hit ctrl-c to close
> the application.
>
> We have 3 Swing desktop applications.  Two of them have the same problem
> in where they launch, but no events are accepted, while the third
> application works ok.  One of the applications is licensed to our
> customers and they are all having the same problem with the new Java
> update, so it is not a localized to a machine configuration, but to the
> new Java Update.
>
> Doing some Google searches, it looks like Matlab is having similar
> problems with the new update :
> http://www.mathworks.us/matlabcentral/answers/79489-java-1-6-0_51-breaks-matlab-2012b-and-below
>
> In trying to isolate the problem, we can't find any exceptions or any
> logging errors.  Trying different things, I found that if we configure
> the JVM memory to 128MB (-Xmx128m) of Heap memory or less, then the
> application will work.  If you configure it with more then 128MB then it
> will not accept events.  We tried lowering the default memory for
> VisualVM, but that didn't solve the problem for VisualVM.
>
> Of the 3 Swing applications which we have, the 2 that do not work use
> JOGL, while the 3rd that works doesn't use JOGL.  I looks like Matlab
> uses JOGL, but VisualVM doesn't.  We can't figure out what is wrong with
> the new Java Update, but it is pointing to a Heap memory & JOGL/OpenGL
> issue.
>
> Without focusing on any specialized applications, I wonder if anyone can
> run VisualVM with the new Java 1.6.0_51 update, which is widely available.
>
> Anyone else having similar issues?
>
> thanks
> -John
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:49:08 +0200
> From: Tomas Hurka <email@hidden>
> To: list Java-dev <email@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>    applications
> Message-ID: <email@hidden>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Hi John,
>
> On 20 Jun 2013, at 02:52, John L33T Haxor wrote:
>>
>> It seems that the latest Java 1.6.0_51 update has problems running some Swing applications.  I performed a software update to get the latest Java 1.6.0_51.  I then installed VisualVM 1.3.5 (http://visualvm.java.net/download.html) and tried to run it.  I get the License Agreement dialog, but when I try to click "I agree" or "cancel" and it doesn't accept any events.  All I can do is hit ctrl-c to close the application.
>>
>> We have 3 Swing desktop applications.  Two of them have the same problem in where they launch, but no events are accepted, while the third application works ok.  One of the applications is licensed to our customers and they are all having the same problem with the new Java update, so it is not a localized to a machine configuration, but to the new Java Update.
>>
>> Doing some Google searches, it looks like Matlab is having similar problems with the new update :
>> http://www.mathworks.us/matlabcentral/answers/79489-java-1-6-0_51-breaks-matlab-2012b-and-below
> I can confirm that VisualVM does not get any keyboard/mouse events until the window is resized. Very similar to above Mathlab issue.
>
> Bye,
> --
> Tomas Hurka   <mailto:email@hidden>
> NetBeans Profiler http://profiler.netbeans.org
> VisualVM http://visualvm.java.net
> Software Developer
> Oracle, Praha Czech Republic
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 03:56:35 -0400
> From: Robert Schmunk <email@hidden>
> To: email@hidden
> Subject: Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>    applications
> Message-ID:
>    <CAAoJ0bb+y7renGitmAtX3kr_oZ-do_1d=email@hidden>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
>> Anyone else having similar issues?
>
> Yes. And it is definitely caused by the Java update. An app of mine
> which was working just fine Wednesday evening locked up hard 30
> minutes later, immediately after I installed the new Java 1.6.0_51
> update. It still works on the one machine I have which is using
> 1.6.0_45. By "locked up hard", I mean that an open-file dialog that
> appears after launch is completely unresponsive and a force-quit is
> required. Also, a splash window that appears beforehand is blank.
>
> I have another Java app which does not exhibit this problem. I have
> not been able to explore the problem much further, but the first thing
> I was going to check Thursday was preferences initialization. The
> broken app uses java.util.prefs.Preferences, while the working app
> does not.
>
> rbs
>
> --
> email@hidden
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:43:00 +0200
> From: Emmanuel Puybaret <email@hidden>
> To: email@hidden
> Subject: Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>    applications
> Message-ID: <email@hidden>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Hi,
>
>> Anyone else having similar issues?
>
> Sweet Home 3D doesn't work anymore too. The screen and even the splash screen appears as empty with no exceptions.
> I tried to reduce heap memory with -Xmx but even -Xmx70m wouldn't help.
> Once I retrieved Java 1.6.0_45 with Time Machine, everything worked fine again.
>
> Good luck Apple team. Hope you will find a solution quickly...
> --
> Emmanuel PUYBARET
> Email  : email@hidden
> Web    : http://www.eteks.com
>         http://www.sweethome3d.com
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 11:30:18 +0200
> From: Tomas Hurka <email@hidden>
> To: list Java-dev <email@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>    applications
> Message-ID: <email@hidden>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Hi,
>
> On 20 Jun 2013, at 09:49, Tomas Hurka wrote:
>> On 20 Jun 2013, at 02:52, John L33T Haxor wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems that the latest Java 1.6.0_51 update has problems running some Swing applications.  I performed a software update to get the latest Java 1.6.0_51.  I then installed VisualVM 1.3.5 (http://visualvm.java.net/download.html) and tried to run it.  I get the License Agreement dialog, but when I try to click "I agree" or "cancel" and it doesn't accept any events.  All I can do is hit ctrl-c to close the application.
>>>
>>> We have 3 Swing desktop applications.  Two of them have the same problem in where they launch, but no events are accepted, while the third application works ok.  One of the applications is licensed to our customers and they are all having the same problem with the new Java update, so it is not a localized to a machine configuration, but to the new Java Update.
>>>
>>> Doing some Google searches, it looks like Matlab is having similar problems with the new update :
>>> http://www.mathworks.us/matlabcentral/answers/79489-java-1-6-0_51-breaks-matlab-2012b-and-below
>> I can confirm that VisualVM does not get any keyboard/mouse events until the window is resized. Very similar to above Mathlab issue.
> I found out that VisualVM 1.2.2 still works with 1.6.0_51 update, while VisualVM 1.3 does not work. I am trying to find out which change caused that VisualVM 1.3 does not work with 1.6.0_51.
>
> FYI: I filed this regression as Apple Bug ID# 14214339.
>
> Bye,
> --
> Tomas Hurka   <mailto:email@hidden>
> NetBeans Profiler http://profiler.netbeans.org
> VisualVM http://visualvm.java.net
> Software Developer
> Oracle, Praha Czech Republic
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:07:56 +0100
> From: Ralph Martin <email@hidden>
> To: John L33T Haxor <email@hidden>,    Tomas Hurka
>    <email@hidden>
> Cc: list Java-dev <email@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>    applications
> Message-ID: <email@hidden>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>
> On 20 Jun 2013, at 1:52:06AM, John L33T Haxor <email@hidden> wrote:
>> It seems that the latest Java 1.6.0_51 update has problems running some Swing applications.  I performed a software update to get the latest Java 1.6.0_51.  I then installed VisualVM 1.3.5 (http://visualvm.java.net/download.html) and tried to run it.  I get the License Agreement dialog, but when I try to click "I agree" or "cancel" and it doesn't accept any events.  All I can do is hit ctrl-c to close the application.
>
> A similar problem occurs with Visual Paradigm. This is a really serious bug that prevents the app from even starting.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Ralph
> --
> Prof. Ralph Martin                     Phone: +44(0)29 2087 5536
> Computer Science & Informatics         Fax:   +44(0)29 2087 4598
> Cardiff University               Email: mailto:email@hidden
> 5 The Parade, Roath              WWW:  http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/
> Cardiff, CF24 3AA, UK         VOIP: sip:email@hidden
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:26:00 -0400
> From: Michael Dever <email@hidden>
> To: John L33T Haxor <email@hidden>
> Cc: list Java-dev <email@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>    applications
> Message-ID: <email@hidden>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> Javafx scene builder blows up on save file dialog
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 19, 2013, at 8:52 PM, John L33T Haxor <email@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems that the latest Java 1.6.0_51 update has problems running some Swing applications.  I performed a software update to get the latest Java 1.6.0_51.  I then installed VisualVM 1.3.5 (http://visualvm.java.net/download.html) and tried to run it.  I get the License Agreement dialog, but when I try to click "I agree" or "cancel" and it doesn't accept any events.  All I can do is hit ctrl-c to close the application.
>>
>> We have 3 Swing desktop applications.  Two of them have the same problem in where they launch, but no events are accepted, while the third application works ok.  One of the applications is licensed to our customers and they are all having the same problem with the new Java update, so it is not a localized to a machine configuration, but to the new Java Update.
>>
>> Doing some Google searches, it looks like Matlab is having similar problems with the new update :
>> http://www.mathworks.us/matlabcentral/answers/79489-java-1-6-0_51-breaks-matlab-2012b-and-below
>>
>> In trying to isolate the problem, we can't find any exceptions or any logging errors.  Trying different things, I found that if we configure the JVM memory to 128MB (-Xmx128m) of Heap memory or less, then the application will work.  If you configure it with more then 128MB then it will not accept events.  We tried lowering the default memory for VisualVM, but that didn't solve the problem for VisualVM.
>>
>> Of the 3 Swing applications which we have, the 2 that do not work use JOGL, while the 3rd that works doesn't use JOGL.  I looks like Matlab uses JOGL, but VisualVM doesn't.  We can't figure out what is wrong with the new Java Update, but it is pointing to a Heap memory & JOGL/OpenGL issue.
>>
>> Without focusing on any specialized applications, I wonder if anyone can run VisualVM with the new Java 1.6.0_51 update, which is widely available.
>>
>> Anyone else having similar issues?
>>
>> thanks
>> -John
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
>> Java-dev mailing list      (email@hidden)
>> Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
>>
>> This email sent to email@hidden
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 18:59:52 +0000
> From: "Ruotsi, Wendell" <email@hidden>
> To: list Java-dev <email@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Java 1.6.0_51 seems to be broken when running certain
>    applications
> Message-ID:
>    <email@hidden>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> I have the same problem with one of my apps - it appears locked up - resizing the window causes the events to finally make it through. The app starts up with a JTextField focused. Typing characters appears to have no effect. But if I resize the window, the characters show up.
>
> I inserted a call to this method at the beginning of main:
> protected static void startupError(String reason)
> {
> JOptionPane pane = new JOptionPane(reason, JOptionPane.OK_OPTION);
> JDialog dialog = pane.createDialog("startup failed");
> dialog.setVisible(true);
>
> System.exit(1);
> }
> and the dialog showed up, but had no text in it and the button wasn't responsive.
>
> I have a static logger initialized in this class via:
> static Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(Wish.class);
>
> If I comment out the actual call to initialize it, the error dialog shows up and works:
> static Logger logger;// = LoggerFactory.getLogger(Wish.class);
>
> The actually implementation under the LoggerFactory.getLogger() is logback-classic/core-1.0.13
>
> I have other "main()" functions in other classes in the same project - also with Loggers - they work fine.
>
> -Wendell
>
> On Jun 20, 2013, at 7:26 AM, 6/20/13, Michael Dever wrote:
>
> Javafx scene builder blows up on save file dialog
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 19, 2013, at 8:52 PM, John L33T Haxor <email@hidden<mailto:email@hidden>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> It seems that the latest Java 1.6.0_51 update has problems running some Swing applications.  I performed a software update to get the latest Java 1.6.0_51.  I then installed VisualVM 1.3.5 (http://visualvm.java.net/download.html) and tried to run it.  I get the License Agreement dialog, but when I try to click "I agree" or "cancel" and it doesn't accept any events.  All I can do is hit ctrl-c to close the application.
>
> We have 3 Swing desktop applications.  Two of them have the same problem in where they launch, but no events are accepted, while the third application works ok.  One of the applications is licensed to our customers and they are all having the same problem with the new Java update, so it is not a localized to a machine configuration, but to the new Java Update.
>
> Doing some Google searches, it looks like Matlab is having similar problems with the new update :
> http://www.mathworks.us/matlabcentral/answers/79489-java-1-6-0_51-breaks-matlab-2012b-and-below
>
> In trying to isolate the problem, we can't find any exceptions or any logging errors.  Trying different things, I found that if we configure the JVM memory to 128MB (-Xmx128m) of Heap memory or less, then the application will work.  If you configure it with more then 128MB then it will not accept events.  We tried lowering the default memory for VisualVM, but that didn't solve the problem for VisualVM.
>
> Of the 3 Swing applications which we have, the 2 that do not work use JOGL, while the 3rd that works doesn't use JOGL.  I looks like Matlab uses JOGL, but VisualVM doesn't.  We can't figure out what is wrong with the new Java Update, but it is pointing to a Heap memory & JOGL/OpenGL issue.
>
> Without focusing on any specialized applications, I wonder if anyone can run VisualVM with the new Java 1.6.0_51 update, which is widely available.
>
> Anyone else having similar issues?
>
> thanks
> -John
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
> Java-dev mailing list      (email@hidden<mailto:email@hidden>)
> Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
>
> This email sent to email@hidden<mailto:email@hidden>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
> Java-dev mailing list      (email@hidden<mailto:email@hidden>)
> Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:
>
> This email sent to email@hidden<mailto:email@hidden>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <https://lists.apple.com/mailman/private/java-dev/attachments/20130620/c2ccd571/attachment.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Java-dev mailing list
> email@hidden
> https://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/java-dev
>
> End of Java-dev Digest, Vol 10, Issue 85
> ****************************************

 _______________________________________________
Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.
Java-dev mailing list      (email@hidden)
Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription:

This email sent to email@hidden




Visit the Apple Store online or at retail locations.
1-800-MY-APPLE

Contact Apple | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2011 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.