Re: Alternative to bootstrap_register?

On 27 Nov 2009, at 17:28, Uli Kusterer wrote:

> On 20.11.2009, at 19:31, Damien Sorresso wrote:

>> bootstrap_check_in() doesn't require root privileges. It only requires that you be advertising the named service in your launchd.plist.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the plist is static, and needs to be installed with root permissions by an installer. How would we generate a plist with a dynamic service name without root permissions? Trying to coerce bootstrap_check_in() and generating a file on disk for this purpose seems like a terrible hack to me.

Doesn't launchd have per-user contexts in addition to the root context?  So couldn't you e.g. stick the plist in ~/Library/LaunchAgents (for instance)?  That doesn't require superuser privileges, right?  Not sure which version(s) of Mac OS X it works for, mind.

Alternatively, if you don't want to use launchd for some reason, presumably you could:

1. On 10.5 and earlier, use bootstrap_register(), which is known to work.

2. On 10.6 and later, use bootstrap_check_in() *without* a plist, which works even though it would have required superuser privileges on earlier versions?

I haven't tried any of this, I'm just trying to come up with suggestions that might work.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net