Re: Alternative to bootstrap_register?

On 27.11.2009, at 18:40, Damien Sorresso wrote:
> Put it in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. launchd has per-user variants. Or is there some reason this job needs to run in a privileged context?

 We don't need a privileged service, not at all. The problem is that this code may get used from several applications, and each of these applications needs a different instance. So we're registering a dynamic service name. It seems very messy to create files on disk for this, which need to be maintained, changed and reloaded when our app gets updated etc.

 Also, bootsrap_check_in() doesn't seem to let you check out again when the helper is no longer needed or our app gets updated.

 bootstrap_register() seems like such a clean way to achieve this, so I'd really like to know what it does wrong that it is being deprecated, and why we'd need to resort to hacks like plists on disk here. It all seems kind of arbitrary, and neither Apple's docs nor several questions on this and previous threads about bootstrap_register() ever got an answer why it is deprecated.

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."